In 1932 a revival led by Rev. Go-van Cudd was held under a brush arbor built on Thomas and Ida Johnson’s farm. Following the revival services a number of people recognized the need for a church to be established in the community because distance prevented many people from attending other churches. Under the leadership of Mrs. Ida Johnson, Mrs. Vaira Pettit and Mrs. Malony Wood a group of people worked together to convert a tenant house on the Johnson farm into a place of worship.
Rev. J. T. Wood was called as pastor and Mt. Sinai Baptist Church was later organized in 1936 with seven charter members. The Buck Creek Baptist Church was instrumental in helping organize the church. Thomas Johnson and Emory Pettit served as the first deacons and Genevieve Gosnell served as the first clerk.
After Rev. Wood’s seven year tenure as pastor Rev. Guy Johnson, Thomas Johnson’s brother, was called to pastor the church in 1938 or 1939. The church’s leadership began to feel that the church needed to relocate from the Johnson farm and construct a more adequate building. Dr. E. E. Bomar of Landrum, SC was approached about a tract of land on which to build. Dr. Bomar initially tried to encourage the group to begin attending the First Baptist Church in Landrum, but was moved by the church’s determination to remain where they were since many of those who attended did not have adequate transportation to attend elsewhere. In the end Dr. Bomar and his wife donated a four-fifths acre tract to the church. At Dr. Bomar’s request the church’s name was changed to Pacolet Hills Baptist Church. The church reorganized under its new name in 1941. An additional half acre of land was purchased from Dr. Bomar in 1946 to serve as a cemetery. Shortly after the reorganization Rev. Johnson resigned to further his education.
Those who have pastored Pacolet Hills Baptist Church are the Reverends Robert Early, C. C. Tucker, J. C. Burrell, George Mitchell, Clarence Campbell, Hollis Lovelace, J. C. Sinclair, Vince Hefner, Aaron Pruitt, Tim Evans, Barry Tucker, Robert Buhl, James Skipper, James Penfield, Dupre Gowan, and James Price. Rev. John Roberts became the church’s pastor January 1, 2016.
In 1972 the church completed a major renovation with Sunday School rooms and a fellowship hall being added to the original building. A pastorium was built in 1991. Other improvements to the property have been made over the years.
Rev. Roberts and his wife Sandra are excited about being a part of the community that surrounds the church.
Visit Pacolet Hills Baptist Church !
Join Us on Sundays
SUNDAY SCHOOL 10 AM
WORSHIP SERVICE 11 AM
BIBLE STUDY 6 PM canceled for May 31
Join Us on Wednesdays
PRAYER MEETING & BRIEF BIBLE STUDY 6:30 PM
Check us out
Physical Address: 3240 Red Fox Rd. Columbus, NC 28722
Mailing Address: 480 Jackson Grove Rd. Columbus, NC 28722